Leadership: Breed Accountability NOT Blame
by Kate Nasser |
One of the questions leaders often ask me is, “How do we increase employee accountability?”
The short answer is — by not blaming anyone. Accountability is the profitable practice of initiative, ownership, and follow-through. It is not blame.
A culture of blame …
- Kills all hope of initiative.
- Teaches people to avoid.
- Turns high function into dysfunction.
- Elevates politics while deflating spirit.
- Disengages for the purpose of self-preservation.
- Wastes time that could be spent on outstanding results.
While we engage in blame, our competition is:
- Learning, repairing, rebuilding, and solving
- Innovating over new challenges
- Valuing and tapping the talent it hired
- Expanding insights and knowledge
- Collaborating for success
- Growing the business and developing the talent
- Farming new business territory
- Wowing each customer
- Producing profits
Why fall into the trap of the blame game? Blame drains the success out of every organization.
- It reveals a broken leadership culture that has spiraled down into self-preservation instead of ascending to inspiration and productivity.
It wastes opportunities for employee engagement and accountability as everyone stays trapped in a constant sense of vague fear.
We can achieve greatness, productivity, and profit when we lead with a culture of learning, initiative, engagement, and accountability.
- Celebrate and develop accountability as the honorable practice of ownership that breeds results.
Change the conversation from fault and fear to learning and accountability. Success is constantly within reach.
Tempus fugit. Breed accountability not blame.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People-Skills Coach™
Related Post: Pain Free Journey to Engage Employee Accountability
©2012 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish this post, please email email@example.com. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People-Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.