Beyond Paycheck: Why Employees Work Part II | #Leadership
by Kate Nasser |
Beyond Paycheck: Why Employees Work
Leaders, do you know why your employees work? To engage employees, you must know what employees get out of work beyond paycheck and benefits. The following list of 8 reasons will get you thinking. It is also worthwhile to ask them and hear their goals directly.
Beyond Paycheck: 8 Reasons Why Employees Work
- Social connection – else they might be working alone. Beyond paycheck and benefits, they want interaction.
- Security. Working makes some people feel they are providing for themselves and/or family members. They are unlikely to spend a year and all their savings exploring the world.
- Have a voice and a purpose. Ever wonder why someone whose spouse makes loads of money is working for you? They work to have a voice at work and in their own life. They also have a purpose beyond being a spouse.
- Appreciation and recognition. They want to know they matter in this life. Instead of seeing these employees as needy or self-absorbed, see the normal human need to be recognized.
- Making a difference. These employees often work for non-profits. Yet more and more, they come to work at corporations that give back to the world.
- Achievement. Beyond paycheck and benefits, these employees truly focus on achieving great things. They crave results.
- Growth. These employees hate being stuck in routine job tasks. If they aren’t learning and growing, you will lose them.
- Adventure. You will find they ask for opportunities to travel or work on global projects. Instead of using these assignments only as rewards, use them to engage these employees now.
- Creating and innovating. Traditionally leaders thought this applied only to marketing, advertising, and related creative departments. Yet you will find these employees in all departments. They perform best when they can innovate new ideas and create new solutions to existing challenges.
Knowing your employees’ motivation to work, helps prevent your tunnel vision. It gives you an accurate picture of how to inspire, lead, and engage your employees for high morale and maximum performance.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2015 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Engage in people skills learning!
Let’s turn interaction obstacles into business success in leadership, teamwork, and customer service experience.
I invite your questions, welcome your wisdom, and look forward to working with you.
~Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™