Leadership Reset: Replace These Easy Feelings That Cause Trouble | #LeadMorale
by Kate Nasser |
Leadership Reset: Replace These Easy Feelings That Cause You Trouble
When leaders fall into the trap of wanting everything to be easy, it’s time for a leadership reset. Easy feels good now yet it often creates new trouble. Here are the easy feelings that you will regret later.
Leadership Reset: 5 Easy Feelings That Create Trouble
- Procrastination. Delaying feels easy. It replaces your discomfort with comfort. Yet when leaders procrastinate, they create discomfort and trouble for everyone. Procrastination is actually lack of leadership — not an easy feeling for employees. Don’t procrastinate. Do a leadership reset. Show initiative and lead!
- Denial. Denial is a temporary escape to happiness. It relieves your panic of hearing trouble. Yet it crushes morale when leaders deny the truth. Picture employees telling you they’ve been sexually harassed. As leader, your denial would come across as not believing them. The trouble that ensues is complex and far-reaching. Replace denial with listening, learning, and action. It’s the power of a leadership reset.
- Conflict avoidance. This sidestep feels easy for awhile. Eventually it morphs into the panic of always running away. It becomes even more insidious when leaders mislabel avoidance as seeking peace. Seeking peace is not conflict avoidance. Great leaders face conflict and lead to achieve peace. They don’t avoid conflict and abandon those they lead.
- Black and white thinking. Absolutes feel easy. It removes the discomfort of ambiguity. Yet it is full of risk. Leadership is about helping everyone think through the grey areas to create clarity and results. Taking no action when things are grey or pretending everything is black and white, leaves employees hanging. It reduces morale and results.
- Resisting change and growth. Staying the same feels very comfortable. It avoids the struggle of learning. It avoids the feeling of incompetence that comes with trying new things. Yet when leaders create a status quo culture, they lead everyone to irrelevance and possibly to extinction. Lead morale and lead change!
Avoiding and denying conflict is dereliction of duty.
Leadership Reset: Summary
Leadership is not easy. It’s not about feeling comfortable. It’s about serving others with courage and inspiring resilience. Leadership is about helping everyone work through tough times to reach success. The respect that leaders build comes from sacrificing their own comfort and engaging others for the greater good.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2016-2022 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Get more inspiration and actionable tips for high engagement results!
Buy Kate Nasser’s new book Leading Morale (Amazon.com).