Leadership Reset: These Easy Feelings Are Not Truly Easy
by Kate Nasser |
Leadership Reset: Replace These Easy Feelings That Cause Trouble
When leaders fall into the trap of liking things easy, it’s time for a leadership reset. Easy feels good yet often it isn’t truly easy. Here are the easy feelings that can cause big trouble.
Leadership Reset: 5 Easy Feelings That Create Trouble
- Procrastination. Delaying feels easy. It replaces discomfort with comfort. Yet when leaders procrastinate, they create discomfort and trouble. Procrastination is lack of leadership — not an easy feeling for employees. Don’t procrastinate. Do a leadership reset. Show initiative and lead!
- Denial. Denial is a temporary escape to happiness. It relieves the panic of hearing trouble. Yet it crushes morale when leaders deny the truth. Picture employees reporting they’ve been sexually harassed. Leaders’ denial would come across as not believing them. The trouble that ensues is complex and far reaching. Replace denial with listening, learning, and action. It’s the power of a leadership reset.
- Conflict avoidance. This sidestep feels easy for awhile. Eventually it morphs into the panic of always running away. It becomes even more insidious when leaders mislabel avoidance as seeking peace. Seeking peace is not conflict avoidance. Great leaders face conflict and lead to achieve peace. They don’t avoid conflict and abandon those they lead.
- Black and white thinking. Absolutes feel easy. It removes the discomfort of ambiguity and perceived risk. Yet it is full of risk. Leadership is about helping everyone critically think through the grey areas to create clarity and results. Taking no action when things are grey or pretending everything is black and white, leaves employees hanging. It puts overall success at risk.
- Resisting change and growth. Staying the same feels super comfortable. It avoids the struggle of learning. It avoids the feeling of incompetence that comes with trying new things. Yet when leaders create a status quo culture, they lead everyone to irrelevance and possibly to extinction. Ignite a leadership reset — lead change.
Leadership is not easy. It’s not about feeling comfortable. It’s about serving others with courage. It’s about inspiring resilience. It’s about embracing the uneasy moments and discomfort to create success. The respect that leaders build comes from sacrificing their own comfort and engaging others for the greater good.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2016 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email email@example.com for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Engage in people skills learning!
Let’s turn interaction obstacles into business success in leadership, teamwork, and customer service experience.
I invite your questions, welcome your wisdom, and look forward to working with you.
~Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™