Leadership Success: Think Balance Beam Not Mountain Top | #peopleskills
by Kate Nasser |
Leadership Success: The Real Challenge is Balance Not Achievement
For many it is getting to the mountain top. Everyday phrases like, at the top of your game and reach the summit, express what many believe about leadership success.
They focus on initiative and drive which are necessary and valuable. Yet the real challenge in leadership — and life — is balance. Achievement is easy compared to balance.
Leadership Success: Think Balance Beam Not Just Mountain Top
- Consider the greatest challenge for most businesses — managing growth. This is an issue of balance: projections, investment, supply, demand, etc… Yet many continue to act as if they’re still in start-up mode and focus on climbing to the top.
- Consider one of the greatest global challenges of any business — optimizing diverse cultures. This too is about balance. Understanding, embracing, and adapting to all factors that can enhance or topple success.
- Developing high performance teams is about balance. Leaders must get diverse personality types, occupations, ages, and educational levels to work together.
- Engaging employees for ownership, accountability, and commitment, requires balance. Leaders must balance telling and asking. Great leaders know when to do each.
- Balancing humility and signs of outward strength is essential. Too much strength and leaders seem domineering. Too much humility and they seem weak. If you struggle with the idea of humility in leadership, read: Never confuse humility for humiliation.
- In communicating to improve employee engagement and commitment, leaders must balance candor and care. High level leaders often need to add more care to their candor. Front line leaders often need to add more candor to their care.
Unfortunately, somewhere many have learned that focusing on balance is the same as maintaining the status quo. It isn’t! When you have balance, you can move faster, perform better, and adapt to change more easily — without tumbling down.
Essential list of things to balance for leadership success:
- Intuition and data
- Safety and risk
- Big picture and details
- Creative thinking and critical thinking
- Practicality and inspiration
- Reflective listening and active expression
You can ascend and master the balance beam of leadership success. Develop it throughout your career long before you have the title of leader!
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2012-2015 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Engage in people skills learning!
Let’s turn interaction obstacles into business success in leadership, teamwork, and customer service experience.
I invite your questions, welcome your wisdom, and look forward to working with you.
~Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™