National Customer Service Week – Celebrate People Skills!
by Kate Nasser |
National Customer Service Week is the first week of October. This special week brings well deserved attention to dedicated customer service and technical support reps and all that they do. I offer this post to celebrate the people skills of all the great CSRs and TSRs who deliver great service.
Celebrate People-Skills. As your customer service teams celebrate with contests, parties, and picture taking, celebrate people skills (aka soft skills) with a thought for each day! Here are five of mine and one from Tristan Bishop.
- An authentic smile changes everything. On the phone, in person, and even the words you use in text, chat, emails, and your website design should smile at the customer. It helps ensure that the customer interaction goes well.
- Treat people the way they want to be treated — not the way you want to be treated. I call this the diamond bond of customer service!
- Be the sun, not a thorn. Even with thorny difficult customers, be the sun. Shine light on the problem to be solved and fix it. More ideas on this topic: 5 Things to Remember w/Tough Customers.
- A plane flies well on auto-pilot mode. Customer service doesn’t! Adapt to each customer — personalize and localize including personality type, culture, geographic differences, and generational differences.
- Empathize before you analyze! Show customers you care and they will care enough to help you help them.
- Kindness transcends constraints. ~Tristan Bishop There are obstacles and challenges in customer service and technical support. Kindness to the customer ensures a continued bond while you work to overcome the challenges. To read more: Kindness Transcends Constraints by The Knowledge Bishop.
Continuously improving your people skills prepares you to effectively handle any customer service interaction with dignity and success.
What thoughts would you like to add to this list to celebrate improved customer service people skills?
[FYI: If you are looking for the first post in this National Customer Service Week series, it is The Folly of Being Defensive].
Kate Nasser, The People-Skills Coach, shines her energy, inspiration, and experienced insights about truly memorable customer service and teamwork on teams in the Fortune 500, governmental agencies, and non-profits. Preview her new training DVD on customer service regional differences in the USA at https://katenasser.com/training-dvds.