New Leaders: Essential People Skills to Use on Day One | #Leadership
by Kate Nasser |
New Leaders & Managers: Use These 5 People Skills From the Start!
New Leaders: 5 Essential People Skills Behaviors to Use on Day One
I’ve written before about the people skills and traits that give rise to your career. Now I turn my attention to the people skills that new leaders and managers must use on day one or learn quickly!
- Greeting. Learn people’s names and use them. If you want engagement, greet people as individuals not as nameless pegs.
- Respecting. New leaders and managers, use “we” not “you.” Basic respect is something everyone deserves. Inclusion and equality gives it to everyone.
- Listening. Listening brings you accurate information, builds trust, and prevents judgment errors. Leaders and managers who don’t listen well create all kinds of trouble from the start.
- Asserting without aggression. Listening show you are open-minded not indecisive. You can and must assert certain positions, conditions,and sometimes decisions. Do it without aggression and you build greater trust and respect.
- Celebrating success & learning from mistakes. Show those you lead, that you celebrate team success and help everyone learn from mistakes. This special balanced energy builds their trust and respect in you. It also keeps the organization vital and productive.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2016 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Engage in people skills learning!
Let’s turn interaction obstacles into business success in leadership, teamwork, and customer service experience.
I invite your questions, welcome your wisdom, and look forward to working with you.
~Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™