New Leaders: Essential People Skills to Use on Day One | #Leadership
by Kate Nasser |
New Leaders & Managers: Use These 5 People Skills From the Start!
New Leaders: 5 Essential People Skills Behaviors to Use on Day One
I’ve written before about the people skills and traits that give rise to your career. Now I turn my attention to the people skills that new leaders and managers must use on day one or learn very quickly!
Start leading morale on day one with these people skills:
- Greeting. Learn people’s names and use them. If you want engagement, greet people as individuals not as nameless pegs.
- Respecting. New leaders and managers, use “we” not “you.” Basic respect is something everyone deserves. Inclusion and equality gives it to everyone.
- Listening. Listening brings you accurate information, builds trust, and prevents judgment errors. Leaders and managers who don’t listen well create trouble from the start.
- Asserting without aggression. Listening shows you are open-minded not indecisive. Assert without aggression and you build trust and respect.
- Celebrating success & learning from mistakes. Show those you lead, that you celebrate team success and help everyone learn from mistakes. This special balanced energy builds their trust and respect. It leads morale and keeps the organization vital and productive.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2016-2019 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Get more inspiration and actionable tips for high engagement results!
Buy Kate Nasser’s new book Leading Morale (Amazon.com).