People Leadership: 10 Things to Do Now to Lead Better Tomorrow
by Kate Nasser |
People Leadership: Changes to Make Now to Lead People Better!
Grateful to MarshillTop for image.
People Leadership: Changes to Make Now to Lead Better Tomorrow!
- Identify and validate your assumptions in every interaction. Assumptions can kill people leadership. They lead to inaccurate inferences and decisions especially about people. This creates resentment and mistrust.
- Lead through bonds — not authority. People work with those they like and trust. Get to know your teams & let them get to know you.
- Learn from your mistakes & promise to improve. You become a model for continuous improvement and a culture of learning.
- Recognize, honor, and celebrate people’s talents. You ignite more contribution and commitment when you highlight people’s strengths!
- Develop loads of self-awareness. Self-aware leaders regulate their extremes and prevent blaming and dumping on their employees.
- Put the we go before your own ego. Generosity and humility are key to leading people well. It quickly builds tremendous trust and respect!
- Courageously address necessary conversations. Unaddressed performance issues, teamwork problems, and organizational issues, leave team members wondering why you are the leader. Step out of the shadows, out of your comfort zone, and lead.
- Create calm in a storm without telling others to calm down. A great leader’s presence is like a port in a storm. It shores others up. It doesn’t tear others down. It doesn’t patronize or demean others for needing support.
- Develop your inspirational skills. Many new leaders don’t believe they are inspirational. I see this especially with technical leaders. Truth is that inspiring others is a skill you can learn and must develop. Start with understanding what inspires your specific employees.
- Reach out to learn what your employees think is great leadership. Ask them to complete this sentence: “I love it when leaders _______________. It’s a fun activity to do in a staff meeting. It’s easy to answer. It builds tremendous connection.
People leadership is not a reward for your years of service. People leadership is a call to serve others. It is a call to know yourself, stretch yourself, improve yourself, and give of yourself.
From my professional experience to your success,
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™
©2015 Kate Nasser, CAS, Inc. Somerville, NJ. I appreciate your sharing the link to this post on your social streams. However, if you want to re-post or republish the content of this post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for permission and guidelines. Thank you for respecting intellectual capital.
Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™, delivers coaching, consulting, training, and keynotes on leading change, employee engagement, teamwork, and delivering the ultimate customer service. She turns interaction obstacles into interpersonal success. See this site for workshop outlines, keynote footage, and customer results.
Engage in people skills learning!
Let’s turn interaction obstacles into business success in leadership, teamwork, and customer service experience.
I invite your questions, welcome your wisdom, and look forward to working with you.
~Kate Nasser, The People Skills Coach™